Please enable JS

Six Smart Suggestions to Manage the Summer Heat

Blog - July 30 2021 - Header

Six Smart Suggestions to Manage the Summer Heat

July 30, 2021/Climate Control/Home Automation/Shading Control

Is your AC system being pushed to its limit in the Texas summer heat? Several automated solutions can support your home's cooling systems and manage energy consumption while bringing down the cost of your utility bills. You'll only need a mobile device and an app to control all of our suggestions via Wi-Fi to keep your home's temperature control at your fingertips. Here are SounDesign's six smart suggestions to manage the summer heat. 

Smart LED Light Bulbs

Traditional incandescent bulbs emit 10% of their energy as light and the other 90% is pure heat. If these are the main type of bulbs lighting your home, you may find it more difficult to stay cool. You can make a simple swap with an LED lightbulb, which runs much cooler than incandescent and fluorescent lights. For example, an incandescent halogen bulb runs around 327°F, a Philips Par38 CF1 measures 167°F, and a Cree LED downlight operates at 107°F. When you multiply these heat levels by the number of lightbulbs in your home, you may have a clearer understanding of your home's heat sources.

Blog - July 30 2021 - 2

Smart Thermostat

A smart thermostat is the one product that we recommend above the rest. It's widely available and does most of the heavy lifting in creating a cool and comfortable home environment. Do you want to set up scheduled temperatures that coincide with your family coming and going from the house or allow your system to self-regulate depending on the outdoor weather? Your smart thermostat can sync with your home's security system or adjust your thermostat from your phone; its compatibility with your home's systems makes it our top product. Houston is infamous for its high humidity levels, so on days that feel stifling and muggy, ensure you have a thermostat that can operate dehumidifiers.

Automated Window Shades

Although everyone loves to fill their home with natural light, there are drawbacks to this. Your home's temperature can rise 20 degrees when you have sunlight pouring through your window and make your AC work twice as hard. Window shades that effectively block the sun will minimize the heat intensity, so we recommend selecting a shading fabric with a low openness factor. If you invest in automated shades, you can open and close your blinds from your phone without any fuss and program them at scheduled times, so you can still enjoy the morning light and cool evenings.

Blog - July 30 2021 - 3

Smart Ceiling Fan

Turning on your ceiling fans is the easiest way to battle the heat! Smart ceiling fans are becoming more accessible to homeowners and allow you to set your thermostat a whole 4 degrees higher than your desired temperature without sacrificing feeling cool and comfortable. Most fans can be controlled through Wi-Fi and your mobile device, but some fans are equipped with motion-sensor technology that registers when anyone enters and exits the room. These sensors also measure the humidity levels and temperature, allowing the fan to adjust its speed.

Smart Power Strip

The majority of your electronic appliances will give off heat when they're running, even if they're turned off but still plugged into an outlet. Perhaps you've noticed that your media room feels a bit warmer than the rest of your house; you can blame your projector, A/V receiver, and speakers for that! The only way to fight the energy use and heat emissions from inactive electronics is unplugging them entirely … unless you own a smart power strip. Once you register it on your Wi-Fi network, you'll be able to use your smartphone to "unplug" components. Just like any smart accessory, you'll be able to program set times for specific strips to shut on and off. You'll find that this helps bring down the indoor heat and save you from staying up too late binging that new Netflix series.

Blog - July 30 2021 - 5

Misting System

Are you avoiding enjoying a sunny day in your yard due to the heat? The solution is an outdoor misting system that will keep the exterior of your home cool by pushing water through a misting nozzle, resulting in refreshing water droplets. As the mist evaporates, you may experience a cooling effect of up to 30 degrees. With a misting system installed at the perimeter of your patio or gazebo, you'll be able to stay cool no matter how overwhelmingly hot the day feels.

If you’re feeling suffocated by the summer sun, it’s time to explore different smart home energy management options. If you’re ready to have a team of professionals install a new smart thermostat, or you’re feeling indecisive about choosing a ceiling fan or a misting system, give our team at SounDesign a call today! We’ll help you install a system that’s prepared for any weather.


2500 Central Parkway, Suite A, Houston, TX